Nettium Featured Runner – Ming Chien Ng

At Nettium, we encourage a culture of wellness and staying healthy all year long. In conjunction with World Health Day and the popular Standard Chartered KL Marathon, Nettiumer and runner, Ng Ming Chien shares how she got into running and her best tips for staying motivated and on your feet in the first of our Featured Runner series.

How long have you been running? How did you get into running?

I’ve been running for at least 15 years. I can’t really remember how I got into running, but it was my brother who brought me to my very first run in Penang with his gym friends.

And when I started to work, the first thing I invested in was a gym membership. I’ve been running since then. I guess I got influenced by him, and I think running is the most convenient sport that can be done almost anytime and anywhere.

Your running shoes?

Nike Free Flyknit! My third pair and I’m still loving it!

Bright-Crimson-Black-Green-Nike-Women-Free-Flyknit-NSW-ARaUwFALSE

Favourite distance to run?

Usually 10km, but I try to run farther on the weekends.

What is the best piece of running advice you’ve received?

80% is your mindset, and the other 20% is just your running. The chatter in your mind can make or break you (this applies to everything, not just in running).

Favorite post-race/post-run meal?

Being a typical Malaysian, my all time favourite meal is Nasi Lemak or Roti Tampal with a glass of hot Nescafe Tarik and a lot of water to stay hydrated!

What tips do you have for staying motivated, or when you’re just not feeling it?

I plan a few marathons for the year to keep myself moving (of course discipline is the key thing). If you get bored easily, try to do quick and effective sports/activities like hiking, swimming, stairs climbing, tennis or squash.

If you don’t like to go at it alone, there are many clubs that you can be a part of for weekend activities, like KL hiking clubs or KL running clubs. Joining teams is also great for motivation.

Organizing events among colleagues for quick workouts is a good idea. The most important thing is being consistent. When you stop exercising, your body forgets how to handle stress and goes back to its old ways. So, keep moving even if it’s just a 5km brisk walk.

Favourite running track/park/area?

Unfortunately, Malaysia isn’t really safe to run in public, especially alone. Besides the gym, I often go to Desa Park City and occasionally, I’ll go to Bukit Jalil Park or KLCC Park too just to change the route a little.

What’s your most memorable running moment?

My most memorable running moment would be the Penang International Marathon 2016 when I lost my pinky toenail. For some reason, I’ve got a blister right at the end of my pinky toe and it ballooned by the time I finished my 42km. It was bleeding inside and so painful that I went to see the doctor and got my entire toenail removed.

Image uploaded from iOS (1) (1)

What else would you like to add?

Health is wealth, we should realize that our health is crucial and whatever it takes, we should take good care of it starting at an early age even though there are so many distractions that make it easy to excuse neglecting one’s health.

Get started now. Go for regular check-ups. Improve your wellness, age gracefully and enjoy a healthy life!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s